Re: gEDA-user: web version of gschem/pcb

On 6/23/2011 12:58 PM, Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:
> Dan McMahill wrote:
>
>>> * back annotation from pcb to gschem
>>
>> what specific things would you like to back annotate?
>
> For debugging it would be nice to have the refdeses of components geometrically
> sorted on the layout, rather than on the schematic. I was told, by layout people
> that some customers even require this kind of sorting in their FSDs.
> I am aware, that this is probably not doable for complex hierarchies, where
> a single symbol in the schematics corresponds to several components in the
> layout. But with the majority of projects there is a one-to-one correspondence.

that functionality has been there in pcb and gschem for years....

In pcb, when you Renumber(), it creates an annotation file (similar to
an ECO file for those familiar with pads).  pcb_backannotate will then
take that renumber and apply to your schematics.

I see a few things missing in the current implementation though.  Would
be good to have the layout produce a netlist and then have a standalone
netlist comparison tool that can produce the annotation file.  Then on
the gschem side, a better scheme api (can't wait to see what Peter B has
in the pipe here) to apply it instead of directly hacking the .sch files
(like pcb_backannotate does) would be nice.

-Dan