Re: gEDA-user: Re: gEDA: gEDA/gaf 20030223 source tarballsreleased.

On Mon, 2003-03-03 at 15:00, Ales Hvezda wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>

> >Can I make a request for the next version? It would be good if the
> >rotate command was consistant between the place operation and the edit
> >operation.  The mouse and/or the key should work for rotating parts in
> >both scenarios - two different and exclusive commands for the same (from
> >a  user perspective) operation doesn't make sense. Just a minor
> >usability gripe...
>

> 	I'm not sure I understand what you mean.  gschem current
> behavior is:
>
> 	When placing a component you can click the middle button and
> the component outline will rotate, hence allowing you to place a rotated
> component.
>
> 	When you rotate a already placed component, you select the
> component and then either 1) type "er" and the component rotates using
> the current mouse position as the origin or 2) Pick Edit/Rotate 90 Mode
> and click at the origin point and the component rotates around this point.
>
> 	I guess in my mind, place and rotate are two seperate operations.
> Please elaborate on what you mean by the above paragraph.  Thanks.
>
> 								-Ales

What I mean is that in my mind, "rotate" is a separate operation, even
within than "place" command. To me, "place" is putting the component on
the schematic - the x,y co-ordinates, while "rotate" is the orientation
- another dimension.

The result, is that I would expect to be able to middle click to rotate
the component while on the schematic (which is currently reserved for
moving), or to be able to type "er" to rotate it while placing it.

An example of the this is Protel 99SE where, IIRC, "space" lets you
rotate a component while both placing or editing.

Richard.