Re: gEDA-user: GTK/RENDER: more information

On Mar 1, 2005, at 1:43 AM, Dave McGuire wrote:
Daniel, and anyone else who is following this...Just FYI, the library that breaks things by requiring the RENDER extension is libgdk-x11. Pointing programs back at the one in /usr/lib (which was overridden by the later version of the library that got installed in /usr/local/lib with GTK+ v2.6.2) causes gnome-terminal (the program I'm using to test GTK+ shared library functionality) to function correctly again on a display that lacks the RENDER extension.

More later.

Ok, it's later. ;)

I've successfully gotten the Sun-supplied gnome stuff (I've tried gnome-terminal and mahjongg) running against a freshly-compiled GTK+ v2.6.2. And I must say, the fonts look *great*. I'm currently using the Ghostscript fonts; I didn't know what else to try and I had them lying around from an unrelated project that also used Freetype...if anyone has any pointers to any other fonts I ought to have, I'd appreciate it.

Anyway, the secret is to use the packaged xrender/render/xft distributions rather than the stuff from the XFree86 v4.4 distribution. If you use the latter stuff, you will wind up with a libgdk-x11 that will not talk to an X server which lacks the RENDER extension. I don't know if it will *use* that extension if it is present, and I'm honestly not sure how to check.

I torched everything I'd built over the past two days, then built and installed that xrender/render/xft stuff, then built & installed Pango 1.8.0, then built & installed GTK+ 2.6.2. The separately-packaged xrender/render/xft source code can be found here:

  http://pdx.freedesktop.org/software/fontconfig/releases/

  Thanks to Daniel Nilsson for that pointer yesterday.

Now I'm going to pull down Bill's source tree and see if I can get it built.

           -Dave

--
Dave McGuire              "I've watched Harley people throw up
Cape Coral, FL                      on the ceiling."    -Krissi