Re: gEDA-user: GTK/RENDER: more information

On Tuesday 01 March 2005 2:56 am, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On Mar 1, 2005, at 1:43 AM, Dave McGuire wrote:
> >   Daniel, and anyone else who is following this...Just FYI, the
> > library that breaks things by requiring the RENDER extension is
> > libgdk-x11.  Pointing programs back at the one in /usr/lib (which was
> > overridden by the later version of the library that got installed in
> > /usr/local/lib with GTK+ v2.6.2) causes gnome-terminal (the program
> > I'm using to test GTK+ shared library functionality) to function
> > correctly again on a display that lacks the RENDER extension.
> >
> >   More later.
>
>    Ok, it's later. ;)
>
>    I've successfully gotten the Sun-supplied gnome stuff (I've tried
> gnome-terminal and mahjongg) running against a freshly-compiled GTK+
> v2.6.2.  And I must say, the fonts look *great*.  I'm currently using
> the Ghostscript fonts; I didn't know what else to try and I had them
> lying around from an unrelated project that also used Freetype...if
> anyone has any pointers to any other fonts I ought to have, I'd
> appreciate it.

All of the fonts I'm going to recommend are well hinted, have good kerning and
in general look *really* good. Further all of them have a generous license
and are free to use anyway you want to:

bitstream (These fonts are as good as it gets for DTP and word processing)

http://www.fryfonts.com/free-font/178

MS core fonts (Use these to browse the web and all MS webpages look like they
should)

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=34153&release_id=105355

Laribie (Free fonts, some unusual, some ordinary but good looking, some I
don't like at all)

http://www.identifont.com/free-fonts.html

Also, if you have access to an old version of wordperfect (Windows, *NIX or
whatever) you can scrape over a hundred well hinted true type fonts out of
it. If you have access to an old copy of MS word, you can get maybe
15 to 25 more. Be real selective on the fonts that you install. If your
careful and inspect the fonts that are out there, you can assemble a
collection of free to use (Any way you want to...), really high quality
fonts.

Best

Marvin