Re: gEDA-user: Re: Gedda-user: Building Gedda under Windows

It has been most interessting political dispute I was able to watch
going on live. And I just want to throw something from myself:

1. Did anybody use tools like Protel DXP, why (besides from open
source and text style data files) is gEDA better ?

2. I think this text below should end this story "port or not to
port" - the answer would be "PORT if you like, PORT if you want more
 people to try gEDA".

I will just keep on reading this storm of messages which proves that
even if windoze is bunch of poor quality software, incompatible with
anything else in this world, forcibly planted on many people's place
of work - it is not indifferent to you.

I myself work on a laptop with both Windows and Linux installed and
I spend equal amount of time in both.

Why Windows? because it works.
Why Linux? because it is free.

There would be much more to add to the above but I want the message
clear :) .

> On Saturday 05 March 2005 21:48, Dave McGuire wrote:
>
> >    Well...Windows is a proprietary product of poor quality that is
> > largely incompatible with 90% of the rest of the stuff out
there, and
> > it's being phased out in lots of organization.  That's fact, not
> > emotion...though I must say I'm happy about it. :)
>
> I agree with everything you have said - at least to some extent.
>
> 1.) The registry is primarily used to obsfucate application API's
and hooks
>       into the OS. This is a proprietary feature.
>
> 2.) Programming for windows compatibility means writing some code
that only
>       works in windows. The best and most well known example is
file access
>       I/O. This is a proprietary feature.
>
> 3.) Windows has, with rare exception, lost the data center war.
Further,
>       windows lost the enterprise server war before it even
started which
>       should have been a clue to a lot of IT professionals prior
to the data
>       center war. However, windows has done well in the medium and
low end
>       market, if from nothing else, from the perspective of the
number of
>       installs in small and mid-sized work groups.
>
> 4.) Embedded windows is a joke. Nobody takes it seriously with the
exception
>      of Palm style devices.
>
> Anybody who has been in this business for more than 10 years could
go on and
> on ...  Even so, windows still owns the most important ground in
IT: The
> desktop. Any OS, at any time, can own every other position in the IT
> paradigm, but if it does not own the desktop, it lost the war.
>
> Perhaps, the question is, are you interested in attracting users
to gEDA or
> attracting desktops? It seems to me that if your serious about
attracting
> desktops, you've got to have something enticing. In my mind, gEDA is
> enticing. In this senario, you don't port. OTOH, are you
interested in
> attracting users to gEDA and not attracting desktops, you port.
Personally, I