Re: gEDA-user: New beta version of gEDA Suite CD up -- please test!

On Sat, Mar 26, 2005 at 08:04:51AM -0500, Stuart Brorson wrote:
> Hi Guys --
>
> I put a new version of the gEDA Suite CD up on my website:
>
> http://www.brorson.com/gEDA/
>
> It contains the latest gEDA/gaf release, as well as other updated
> components.  There isn't much change over the 20050313 version, except
> that I have incorporated a couple of Marvin's suggestions into the
> documentation, and I have created the .iso using both Rock Ridge *and*
> Joilet filename extensions.
>
> Since I used the Joliet filename extensions, the CD *might* work under
> Cygwin now.  Note that since I haven't tested the CD on Cygwin,
> "Stuart's Law" says that it will fail.  Nonetheless, I am interested in
> hearing reports from folks who try it under Cygwin.

Not that I use cygwin that much, but I have it installed on my work
laptop and I decided to give the CD a shot, just to see what
happens...

So your law works in this case as well, trying to launch the installer
gives an error message "Program too big to fit in memory". I don't
know who is reporting this, running it in gdb didn't really help
either since gdb just prints this message and hangs. Gdb also
complains that the installer.exe is built for GNU/Linux which it
doesn't know about.

So I tried running the installer.py script directly which fails since
pygtk isn't installed. pygtk doesn't seem to be bundled with cygwin so
I attempted to build it. After a few moments in dependency hell the
pygtk build fails due to some strange linker problems that I don't
really have time to look into.

So anyway, I tried, it failed...

--
Daniel Nilsson