Re: gEDA-user: gedasymbols.org update

> I wonder if there is a way to implement user comments to a symbol so
> other users can indicate their experiences?  We have found a few
> symbols on the net or that are included with PCB that probably
> worked very well for someone else, but caused us problems.  It might
> be helpful if users could post comments like 'beware if you use this
> with Moldar rev A part' or 'shape is great for the Whizding parts,
> but the origin is in pin one instead of the centroid of the part so
> pick-and-place had fits with it.'

The issues with that kind of feedback are accountability and trust,
and I think the best way to handle that (for now, at least) is for you
to contact the symbol author and give them the feedback.  They can
edit their pages, symbols, or footprints to include those comments.
I'm trying to make it as easy as possible for them to make those
changes, of course.

I don't think this is the kind of problem that is easily solved by
throwing technology at it.  Perhaps in the future we could add
blog-type feedback to things, but things move and we still have the
accountability and trust issues.

That doesn't even consider spam and harassment that always seem to
find self-policed feedback systems.