gEDA-user: Soldering fine pitch chips

I once replaced a 1.27mm SMD chip on a motherboard and had only
transformer soldering gun. So I cut a piece of copper tin with a hole
in the middle. I made sure that the long edge is straight. Then I
bolted the tin to the loop of the transformer gun and used it to heat
all pins on one side at a time. It was easy to solder and desolder.
After rinsing with isopropanol the soldering looked like from a factory.

Do you think this method could be used to solder down fined pitch chips
like 1mm 0.7mm or whatever is common today?

CL<