Re: gEDA-user: Soldering fine pitch chips

Randall Nortman wrote:

Overall, reflow soldering is much faster.  You spend a long time
placing each component, but then the soldering itself happens for the
whole board at once, in just a few minutes.  The process is remarkably
forgiving of placement errors with these fine-pitch chips -- the
surface tension of the solder will pull the chip into alignment, so
long as it is approximately correct.  0603 components actually give me
much more problems on those boards, since they have little motivation
to stay put once I've placed them, and are more likely to pull out of
alignment during soldering if one end melts before the other.  I'm not
brave enough to have tried hand placing 0402 chips yet.

for 0402's I'm still just hand soldering them... I'm curious, when you've been doing the toaster oven reflow, doesn't the solder paste help keep your 0603's in place?

BTW, if anyone has an air compressor around, you can get these nifty solder paste applicators which is basically a syringe with a foot pedal that will deliver a small amount of solder paste when you press the pedal. Makes for quick application of the paste if you're doing it by hand instead of with a stencil.

-Dan