Re: gEDA-user: New project release

On Sunday 12 March 2006 22:39, Dan McMahill wrote:

> ... Or for that matter, does it look fairly simple?

> So it looks like the rule is if you have 5 fields, the first one is the

> net name, otherwise you continue on the same net? I think I get what

> "Part" and "Pad" are but I'm not so clear about "Pin" and "Sheet".

In this case "Pin" refers to the name of a particular pin (e.g. /Reset, A0, /OEL, etc) and "Pad" refers to the actual pin number (1-14 on a DIl14 part, etc) on the part.

I'm guessing Sheet just means which page of a multi-page schematic the named pin comes from, a feature I've never used.

> Anyway, without actually running it, something like this should do it:

[Snip awk program]

It seems to work well! Tried it on two boards and the output looks good. No garbage at the end of the file either. Wrapped it in a simple bash script to check for two parameters and the presence of -h or --help. I've attached that here, I bet a few others could use this also.

> I got confused reading the code...

I can't even read it :-)

Care to take a crack at converting an Eagle parts list? It has a similar format:

===== Text Import Begin =====<pre>

Partlist

Exported from Quickscan-0.1.2.sch at 3/13/2006 02:45:53

EAGLE Version 4.16 Copyright (c) 1988-2005 CadSoft

Part Value Device Package Library Sheet

IC1 4066N 4066N DIL14 40xx 1

U$1 USER-FEMALE USER-FEMALE USER-FEMALE misc-parts 1

X1 M25HP M25HP con-subd 1

X2 MAB5SH MAB5SH MAB5SH con-hirschmann 1

</pre>===== Text Import End =====

I'm not exactly sure what the final output would look like though, since PCB files are broken down to individual lines, pads/pins, etc. In this case I think the fields make a little more sense.

I was thinking that between the netlist and the parts list, it might be possible to shave a good chunk of time off of importing a legacy Eagle layout *and* the schematic over to PCB and gschem.

It wouldn't exactly handle the placement of the parts, but maybe the user can handle that part..?

The only hard part would be assigning PCB/gschem part/symbol names to match the names used in the parts list file.. Any thoughts on this?

--

"Sometimes paranoia can be helpful. Usually it

isn't, and when you learn that, life improves."

Vanessa Dannenberg