Re: gEDA-user: tragesym and multiple slots

On Mar 21, 2006, at 9:57 AM, Tomasz Nowak wrote:

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 09:46:26 -0500
DJ Delorie <dj@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

105, 133 and 42 are not numbers of pins, but the first pin mentioned in the slot.

Sorry, typo.

Slot  #pins
  1  57
  2  70
  3  81

Shouldn't each slot have the same *number* of pins?

No, why? I'd like to divide the pins into 3 functional blocks.

Then you're not slotting. Slotting is for when you have identical *swappable* components in a chip, like three identical NAND gates.

So what can I do, if I have two swappable USB ports, three swappable RS ports and a plenty of other peripherals (together 208 pins)? I'd like to split the chip...

You simply make separate symbols, as if they are independent devices, and then when you put them into the schematic you give them the same refdes. Slots are only there to make it convenient to swap *identical* subdevices around: they are not the correct mechanism for what you are doing.

Last week there was a bit of discussion on this list of the possibility of a more formal mechanism for heterogeneous subdevices, but there is none at the moment. The advantages of a more formal mechanism would be easier user identification of library subdevices and better DRC. However, gEDA can do what you want right now without any special mechanism.

jpd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx