Re: gEDA-user: basic anti-EMI design q

> You could probably fix it with something gross like series R in the line
> and a bypass cap to ground (the ground the latch sees - the chips pin
> 10) right at the octal latch.

That's been suggested before.  Sadly, there's not a lot of hackability
in that board (hey, it's my first in a long time, and it already has
one flying transistor in it and a few cut traces).  Hence the
redesign.

> assuming the latch is cmos,

TTL.

> A somewhat easier solution could be to use a USB io in the interface
> box - but that does not get rid of the beige box.

Hence the 10baseT port in the new design ;-)

The board will have a serial port too, for debugging and programming,
but I don't plan on using it much once the 10baseT is running.

> A fet gate is only high impedance at DC. All that gate-drain capacitance
> matters.

Oh crap, you're right.  Still, I was planning on a 100k or more
resistor in series with the gates.  Sufficient?  Or plan on an opto?

Actually, the drive FETS have both a resistor and a zener in series,
so that a floating I/O will drive neither FET.  It's a funny circuit,
and I probably should work on that first and post it.  And the I/O
line has a pair of inductors on it (LCL filter), probably a 12MHz low
pass filter.