Re: gEDA-user: [pcb] overlapping pin/pad -- won't form thermal

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 5:16 PM, Dave N6NZ <n6nz@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

DJ Delorie wrote:
>> PCB needs first class support for oblong through-holes.
>
> Yup.  I've talked about a "multi-pin" before; this is a pin with
> arbitrary shaped copper/soldermask/etc on each layer.

Yes, when you get to multi layer boards you often want a different
annulus on inner layers.

I think it's time to think about an expansion to the footprint grammar
to support more sophisticated pins and also more sophisticated paste specs.

-dave

Without piling on too much....

- Expanding the grammar to support inner layer pad <> outer layer pad would be great.  (Would one geometry definition apply to all inner layers?)
- Also consider whatever would allow pins (and vias) with no connection to some layers (maybe supporting blind and buried vias in the process?)
- Taking this too the limit, consider a shift to a more heirarchical approach which would allow pad definitions to be "included" in a footprint by reference rather than direct inclusion.
(My ignorance of the data structures now used by PCB may be evident here - I don't know how difficult this would be).

Joe T