Re: gEDA-user: Iverilog synthesis problems

Hello Stephen

On 25/03/08, Stephen Williams wrote:
>> Since the Xilinx free tools for this chip don't include a synthesis tool
>> I've been trying to use Iverilog, with some success.
>
> I'm surprised by that. I thought the webpack releases support
> spartan chips of various sort via xst. However, iverilog 0.8
> should work too.

Xst claims to be spartan II onwards, this board has a spartan I on.

> The -tfpga code generator for virtex is almost certainly trying
> to implement your gates with LUT2 devices. It uses an INIT= attribute
> attached to the LUT2 to specify the logic. That's pretty basic and
> should work.

I thought it was something like this, its not me missing a library or include
file or something silly like that is it?

> Looks like ngdbuild is not OK with LUT2 devices on spartan chips?
> That is weird. What exactly is the software that comes with that
> devel board? Can you use a recent Webpack instead?

The board didn't come with any software, it was second hand, the only software
available on Xilinx's website that list Spartan as a supported device is ISE
Classics - which is what I'm using.

Would it be worth downloading a later version and using Iverilog instead of
xst? Would that work?

Regards
Darren