Re: gEDA-user: random project idea

> Cheating? I did that board when pcb only

I meant that hobby folks can rarely afford to have via-in-pad done.
Unless there's some way to hand-prep each via so the bga can be
soldered on.  Otherwise, we need to either stick with "normal" rules
or avoid BGAs altogether.

> The real issue here separation the hobbyist from the professional is the
> cost of the components. Boards of this nature are likely to run into the
> thousands of dollars each for small quantities (pcb fabrication,
> components and assembly).

Yup.  I think technology has gotten to the point where the hobbyist
can make *a* motherboard, but not a leading edge one.