gEDA-user: Meaning of --with-x and --without-gui for pcb

On Fri, 2009-02-27 at 14:52 +0100, Stefan Salewski wrote:
> I can not really understand the ./configure option
>
> --with-x                use the X Window System
>
> which is available for libgeda and gschem.
> Both require GTK+ 2.4.x, so X Window System should be used anyways.
> Seems that --with-x is not used by default, but current Gentoo ebuild
> script specifies it.
>
> Any idea for what it may be useful?
>
> Thanks
>
> Stefan Salewski

>On Fri, 2009-02-27 at 17:08 +0300, Ineiev wrote:
>>Probably to specify --with-x=/home/randomuser/personal-x-install-dir

I am not sure that this is correct...

Same question for PCB 20081128.

./configure shows

--with-x                use the X Window System

but I can not find out what it means.
Current Gentoo ebuild script uses a --without-x argument to ./configure
when building for batch/server application.

But this argument seems to be obsolete now -- can not find it with grep.

And:

stefan@AMD64-X2 ~/pcb-20081128 $ ./configure --help | grep without-gui
stefan@AMD64-X2 ~/pcb-20081128 $ cat INSTALL | grep without-gui
       --without-gui       = specifies that no GUI will be built.  This

So --without-gui in mentioned in INSTALL but not recognized by
configure?

So how can we build without GUI for server?

Best wishes,

Stefan Salewski

OK, some people may wonder why I ask:
I try to support a package maintainer -- he is busy and is not active
using gEDA-tools.