Re: gEDA-user: Meaning of --with-x and --without-gui for pcb

I've been watching this thread for a few days.  Today it occurred to
me that the --with-x flag is likely autogenerated by automake/autoconf,
and is therefore just an obsolete artifact.

Most gEDA projects use the autotools to create "configure" from
configure.ac.  Very few people now write their own configure scripts.

Inside configure.ac the developer puts a bunch of
macros to check various things on the target system.  Then, running
autoconf expands the macros to create the "configure" file used by the
end-user to build the software.

I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that some of the macros getting expanded
invoke boilerplate configure options, includuing "--with-x", which may
have been an important flag years ago for some unix programs.
Nowadays, it's obsolete.  I just looked inside the configure file
for gerbv, and internally the variable corresponding to this flag is
set to "yes" by default.

If anything, I'd suggest that the presence of this flag represents a
minor, cosmetic bug which one could file against the GNU autotools.

Just my guess,

Stuart