Re: gEDA-user: mcu to sdram interface project

DJ Delorie wrote:
>> I'd definitely recommend putting an SD slot on. The hardware is
>> cheap, the interface is simple and there's so much you can do with
>> it. I store my FPGA bitstream on the SD card, so updating the the
>> hardware design is just a matter of copying the file onto the card
>> and clicking it into the board.
>
> Hey, neat idea.  I figured the ethernet was the other option; tftpboot
> or the like.

One other nice thing is that the DIN/CCLK pins of the FPGA become user
I/O after configuration, so when you're done loading the bitstream the
MCU can use those pins to talk to the FPGA code you just installed. My
design has a SPI slave port on those pins so I can monitor/control with
the same SPI port I used to load it up. Good for flexibility so I don't
have to resynthesize just to tweak parameters in the hardware.

Ethernet would be pretty nifty. A bit outside my comfort zone right now,
but it would speed things up a lot.

Eric