Re: gEDA-user: Symbol style recommendations

On Thursday 19 March 2009 21:58:59 Josh Jordan wrote:
> I prefer to use actual pinouts in my schematics for two reasons: It helps
> you with chip placement because naturally you will tend to place symbols
> and lines to get the fewest line crossings.  Going to layout after you have
> already decided the best general position for parts makes it much easier.
> The second reason is that later on it will be easy to look back to a
> schematic that has a similar layout as the board and the same pinouts.

We'll have to agree to disagree. When I look at a schematic, I want to be able
to quickly and easily work out what the circuit is designed to do, and having
the pins on my symbols arranged by function and bus offset rather than by
physical position helps a great deal.

What you're doing completely defeats the point of having separate schematic
and layout diagrams, IMHO.

What do you do about parts that have different pinouts depending on what
package they're in?

                                     Peter

--
Peter Brett