Re: gEDA-user: Symbol style recommendations

Peter TB Brett wrote:
> We'll have to agree to disagree. When I look at a schematic, I want to be able
> to quickly and easily work out what the circuit is designed to do, and having
> the pins on my symbols arranged by function and bus offset rather than by
> physical position helps a great deal.

I find myself doing both approaches depending on what kind of components
they are. Often I do physical position symbols just to "git 'er done"
and I've found that this helps me think about layout issues earlier in
the design process, as well as aiding in finding signals during hardware
debug.

> What do you do about parts that have different pinouts depending on what
> package they're in?

True. The other side of this coin though is complex parts like MCUs or
FPGAs where the pins can have different functions depending on
programming. For these parts, functional grouping is somewhat more nebulous.

Isn't it nice to have the option to do either?

Eric