gEDA-user: PCB painting has slowed down

I'm not sure if it's coincidental with me upgrading to Slackware 12.2
(and a new version of kernel), but PCB has really slowed down.  The
screen repainting is painfully slow and it's particularly obvious when
zooming in.  I can press the "z" key perhaps 10 times, then go have a
cup of coffee while it zooms in and does the repaint.  The repainting of
  rats is also slow, which can be seen when the rats are visible and I
move a part somewhere.

Previously, my design had around 3000 parts but I've reduced it by
making a few smaller plug-in cards.  I'm not sure of the current part count.

I can say, that the more visible stuff is on the screen, the slower it
becomes.  So I can turn off the planes and things improve.  Turn off the
rats, again it improves.  Once I am zoomed in enough that there's not
too much extra stuff on the page, it is reasonably sporty.

My version of PCB is 20081128 with a couple of patches from Peter Clifton.

gene