Re: gEDA-user: PCB painting has slowed down

Peter Clifton wrote:

> Polygons make stuff slow.
OK.  That would be the planes.  I don't too much there yet, but the ones
that are there overlap each other.

> Perhaps running with a compositing window manager makes things slow,
> (unsubstantiated suggestion to test without if you are using one).
> Compiz really messed up gschem performance until the drawing model was
> fixed. I "think" PCB's is ok though, (and I'm using compiz myself - with
> the GL branch)
What is that?  I don't know.

> I assume you're using the GTK HID.

Yep. Is lesstif any different, speed-wise?  Oh, I am using KDE 3.5
desktop - if that has any bearing.

> Remind me which patches you're using?

Back around Christmas you sent me some fixes for the large number of
rats that I had (around 7000, I think).  PCB bombed with all the rats.
Your patch fixed it up.

Also, my drawing space is large - around 40" X 50".  That was just
required to get all the parts to disperse in some reasonable fashion.
Eventually, I hope to shrink this monster considerably.  Any chance the
size of the board has anything to do with it?