Re: gEDA-user: PCB painting has slowed down

On Sun, 2009-03-29 at 19:53 -0400, gene glick wrote:
> I'm not sure if it's coincidental with me upgrading to Slackware 12.2
> (and a new version of kernel), but PCB has really slowed down.  The
> screen repainting is painfully slow and it's particularly obvious when
> zooming in.  I can press the "z" key perhaps 10 times, then go have a
> cup of coffee while it zooms in and does the repaint.  The repainting of
>   rats is also slow, which can be seen when the rats are visible and I
> move a part somewhere.
>
> Previously, my design had around 3000 parts but I've reduced it by
> making a few smaller plug-in cards.  I'm not sure of the current part count.
>
> I can say, that the more visible stuff is on the screen, the slower it
> becomes.  So I can turn off the planes and things improve.  Turn off the
> rats, again it improves.  Once I am zoomed in enough that there's not
> too much extra stuff on the page, it is reasonably sporty.

Polygons make stuff slow.

Perhaps running with a compositing window manager makes things slow,
(unsubstantiated suggestion to test without if you are using one).
Compiz really messed up gschem performance until the drawing model was
fixed. I "think" PCB's is ok though, (and I'm using compiz myself - with
the GL branch)

> My version of PCB is 20081128 with a couple of patches from Peter Clifton.

I assume you're using the GTK HID.

Remind me which patches you're using?

--
Peter Clifton