Re: gEDA-user: PCB painting has slowed down

Peter Clifton wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-03-29 at 21:35 -0400, gene glick wrote:
>> Peter Clifton wrote:
>>
>>> Polygons make stuff slow.
>> OK.  That would be the planes.  I don't too much there yet, but the ones
>> that are there overlap each other.
>>> Perhaps running with a compositing window manager makes things slow,
>>> (unsubstantiated suggestion to test without if you are using one).
>>> Compiz really messed up gschem performance until the drawing model was
>>> fixed. I "think" PCB's is ok though, (and I'm using compiz myself - with
>>> the GL branch)
>> What is that?  I don't know.
>
> See at the bottom of this email.
>
>>> I assume you're using the GTK HID.
>>>
>> Yep. Is lesstif any different, speed-wise?  Oh, I am using KDE 3.5
>> desktop - if that has any bearing.
>
> It shouldn't be (it was once upon a time when the GTK HID did some
> really silly things).
>
>>> Remind me which patches you're using?
>>>

>> Back around Christmas you sent me some fixes for the large number of
>> rats that I had (around 7000, I think).  PCB bombed with all the rats.
>> Your patch fixed it up.
>
> Ok, I remember now. It sounds like a complex design. I'd never noticed
> that rat limit being hit before, so it may be that your board exercises
> PCB in a way which hasn't been tested or profiled for speed.
>
>> Also, my drawing space is large - around 40" X 50".  That was just
>> required to get all the parts to disperse in some reasonable fashion.
>> Eventually, I hope to shrink this monster considerably.  Any chance the
>> size of the board has anything to do with it?
>
> It _could_ be, but I doubt it. PCB uses some quite smart geometric
> data-structures to speed up object searches. I'd not 100% rule it out
> though.
>
> If you are able, send me a copy of the offending board via private
> email, and I'll see if I can nail down why it is going slowly.
>
> The GL code I was working on might help you though, it is generally
> faster at rendering stuff, and looks better as well! ;)
>
> git clone git://repo.or.cz/geda-pcb/pcjc2.git
>
> cd pcjc2           <- (I think.. whatever dir the above cmd makes)
>
> git checkout -b before_pours origin/before_pours
>
> ./autogen.sh
>
> ./configure --disable-doc --enalble-gl --enable-dbus --prefix=/home/WHOEVER/gEDA
> (Set the prefix to wherever you want to install PCB.)
>
> OR:
> ./configure --enable-maintainer-mode --enalble-gl --enable-dbus --prefix=/home/WHOEVER/gEDA
>
> Since you've build PCB before, I don't expect this to be a big problem.
> "--enable-gl" is required on that branch though.. leaving it out gives a
> broken build.
>
> Then of course, build with:
>
> make
> make install
>

> You will need development packages installed for OpenGL, gtkglext, and
> all the usual suspects required for building PCB.
>
> Best regards,

I had to install gtkglext, but after that the build worked.  Executing
PCB gives the following error:

gene@geno:~/pcb-dev/bin$ ./pcb
process 8801: D-Bus library appears to be incorrectly set up; failed to
read machine uuid: Failed to open "/var/lib/dbus/machine-id": No such
file or directory
See the manual page for dbus-uuidgen to correct this issue.
   D-Bus not built with -rdynamic so unable to print a backtrace
Aborted