Re: gEDA-user: Need help repairing a damaged FPGA board (GR-PCI-XC2V)

Just a bit OT but:
since you refered to students, you might like to check wether the following evaluation kit is suitable for your needs:

AVNETs
Xilinx® Spartan®-3A Evaluation Kit
http://tinyurl.com/avnet-dev-kit

Features beside the typical FPGA stuff:
somehow open (datasheets, etc. given)
an existing forum for user discussions
an usb interface for programming (sending the bit file is not done via ISE webpack but with a own software tool)
ISE Webpack free edition on CD
embedded PSoC chip with CapSens-Button and the necessary programmer (miniprog) for the PSoC.
Rather much free I/Os compared to other eval-kits
power-over-usb (makes it more difficulte for fry it ;) )
and finally the price

the drawbacks as I found them
I/O-banks are fixed already to 3.3V logic.
less I/Os then a "real"-developer kit
ISE Webpack is not open source ;)

However, it cost "only" 49 dollars. Thus instead of buying (or fix) ONE expensive regular development kit you could propably buy a set of those and hand one to each student. Makes it a bit more redundant.

Hope that helps a bit

Torsten