Re: gEDA-user: pcb doesn't find my pins

Stefan Salewski wrote:
On Sat, 2010-03-06 at 08:50 -0500, Jim wrote:
In case anyone is interested, here's the entire schematic:

http://fayettedigital.com/images/sch2.jpg

Sorry, can not really help you.
(For the experts it may be easier if you make all data files available,
not only pictures.)
Thanks, I didn't want to overload the message to start. I figured someone with more knowledge than I would tell me what they wanted.
What I do in such cases: Delete part of the schematics, start from
scratch, exchange symbols, exchange self made components by similar
devices shipped with geda...
I did a lot of that. I started with everything except the part you designed for me as geda symbols and footprints. Thinking there was a problem with one of them, I started replacing them with my own. Didn't help.

Keyword: Minimal example which shows the problem, available with all
source file, so developers can test it.

One reason for shorts: Some symbols have hidden power pins, i.e. some
logic symbols, but I think that is not the problem in your case.
That was it! I "borrowed" a 7805 symbol and did not notice the hidden power (GND) pin when I rearranged the pins to fit my device. I was vaguely aware of such things but didn't give it a thought.
Some remarks: You have VCC as input of voltage regulator and at pin 40
of your chip. Is this intended?
Yes, U1 is a 5 volt part and U4 is a 3.3 V part. I should have just left the 3.3 V bus off and wrapped the net around the top of U4. I'll probably do that. This is a work in progress still. ;)
Not related to netlist: Most people use capital "F" for farad. 0.1uF at
input terminal and 10uF at output is not too common, but it may be fine
for your regulator type. You may check with datasheet.
Just sloppy work on my part. I know better. I haven't seriously dabbled in hardware for a long time. The spec sheet confirms a 100 nF on the input and a 10 uF on the out. This is a low dropout voltage part and behaves somewhat differently from a common VR.
Sorry, no real idea of your problem.
Yes real idea!  You fixed it!
Best regards

Stefan Salewski