gEDA-user: Questions about filling/using large nets/fills.

I was playing around with filling in the blank space with copper and thought it made sense to put part of it at ground potential, however I can't seem to run a connection to a rectangle from a ground pin. How's one go about that? The second question is pretty similar, I have to lay out an audio amp circuit and little tiny wires that work well in digital electronics are much less useful for audio. So I want to have some rather large swaths of copper connected to parts. I nice wide ground path makes life in the audio world much easier. I know you can adjust the width of lines for the route styles. Is that the way to do it?

Thanks,
Jim.