Re: gEDA-user: compile of pcb fails due to missing epsf.tex

On Mon, 2010-03-08 at 12:29 -0500, Dan McMahill wrote:
> Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:
> > Just did a fresh download of pcb from git.
> > "autogen.sh", "configure" and "make" all ran fine. However, "make
> > install" failed due to a missing epsf.tex. I had to install the package
> > texlive-generic-recommended to get this file.
> > --> The configure script should check for the presence of this file.
>
> any idea of the right way to check?  Which particular package is needed
> to get a working latex (I assume its latex and not texinfo that failed)
> is going to be very dependent on what packaging system, if any, is used.
>
> Which exact step failed?

Peter B likes to show off his auto-foo sometimes ;)

Perhaps it would be possible to write a custom test which actually tries
to use latex commands similar to those required by the build.

doc/gs/texinfo.tex seems like it might have the required test.

% @image.  We use the macros from epsf.tex to support this.
% If epsf.tex is not installed and @image is used, we complain.
%
% Check for and read epsf.tex up front.  If we read it only at @image
% time, we might be inside a group, and then its definitions would get
% undone and the next image would fail.
\openin 1 = epsf.tex
\ifeof 1 \else
  % Do not bother showing banner with epsf.tex v2.7k (available in
  % doc/epsf.tex and on ctan).
  \def\epsfannounce{\toks0 = }%
  \input epsf.tex
\fi
\closein 1

If we can make this fragment into a LaTeX run which returns different
exist code depending on the test outcome, we can check this file.

An easier option might be to try finding the file with

kpsewhich epsf.tex

Which on my box returns:

/usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/generic/epsf/epsf.tex

Regards,

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,