Re: gEDA-user: Assembly drawing

On Tue, 2010-03-09 at 09:28 +0000, Peter TB Brett wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Mar 2010 09:18:38 +0000, andrew whyte <ajwhyte@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Ah... sounds like you've got it.
> >
> >   The layout is too dense for a silk component refdeses.  I hadn't
> > thought of setting up an assemly only layer.  Can I move the silk
> > refdeses to this layer?  Using select and Shift+M doesn't work.
> >

> AFAIK you can't, unfortunately.
>
> It's a missing feature. :-(

What you might do is leave them in the "correct" places for your
assembly drawing, then bulk select the components and hide the refdes
text with this action command:

ToggleHideName(selected)

(Or, for the less obtuse, use the "Shift+H" keyboard short-cut.

"H" toggles the element under the cursor, "Shift+H" operates on the
selection.

It is manual, I know, but you can then revert this operation before
producing the fab drawing. It should also (if you prefer to automate),
be much easier to strip out the "hidename" flags from the PCB file (spit
out a temporary file with the result) to produce the fab drawing.

Hope the workaround is of some use.

Best wishes,

--
Peter Clifton