Re: gEDA-user: rant: pcb print from command line

On Tue, 2010-03-09 at 19:20 +0000, Gareth Edwards wrote:

> If we want to trial this model, I'm personally happy to become one of
> the "second-class developers" as Kai-Martin put it - to do some patch
> triage for gEDA tools in general, not just pcb.

Sure!

These things typically evolve anyway.. and are not assigned. I guess
what we're saying is that someone taking an interest in patches,
verifying them, and perhaps championing them to the developers - would
be a useful... if that inspires people to fill that role, excellent, but
I don't expect we'll be formally assigning "second-class-developers".

I recall one project (GTK I think), which started putting together a
weekly roll-call of bugs with patches which should be sucked in, or
looked at by developers. I think it was helpful. A periodic review of
outstanding patches or serious bugs might also be a useful prod to
developers.

On Launchpad, with Ubuntu development processes tend to revolve around
subscribing specific teams to bugs. If I want to get a newer package
uploaded (assuming it is in Debian), I file a bug requesting a sync,
then subscribe a team dealing with sync request approvals.

The sync request approver adds an ACK comment, unsubscribes their group,
and subscribes a group managing the archive, who then performs the sync.

I think a bug tracking system like Launchpad (which is nice to use!),
would help us with some of this kind of process. Bugs may be categorised
with various tags, as well as the usual priority assignment and status
tracking.

Perhaps we can even form some teams interested to receive email updates,
and get subscribed to bugs / patches in certain areas, with patches for
review, or whatever.

Best regards,

--
Peter Clifton