gEDA-user: gafrc nonsense

Here's the problem:

1. I'd like a custom title block to be used at startup.
2. I'd like to make and use some custom components

Here's what I have done:
1. Following the advice I found at:
http://www.geda.seul.org/wiki/geda:faq-gschem I have created a
/home/cullen/.gEDA/gschemrc file which contains the following:

cullen@nnnnn:~$ cat .gEDA/gschemrc
(define default-titleblock "title-B-wcjc.sym")
(define gedasymbols "/home/cullen/gaf/wcjc/symbols")

This gets me the custom title block, but only if I put it in
/usr/share/gEDA/sym/titleblock/

I also have a /home/cullen/.gEDA/gafrc which has just one line:

cullen@nnnnn:~$ cat .gEDA/gafrc
(define gedasymbols "/home/cullen/gaf/wcjc/symbols")

Inside the directory /home/cullen/gaf/wcjc/symbols are the following:

cullen@nnnnn:~$ ls /home/cullen/gaf/wcjc/symbols/
diac.sym  title-B-wcjc.sym  triac-1.sym

None of the above three listed symbols appear in the "Select
Component..." dialog box, under "local", where I think they should
appear. What am I missing? I've made several iterations over this and
I don't see why it is failing. Output of my gschem.log follows:

Read system-gafrc file [/etc/gEDA/system-gafrc]
Read ~/.gEDA/gafrc file [/home/cullen/.gEDA/gafrc]
Did not find optional local gafrc file [/home/cullen/gafrc]
Read system-gschemrc file [/etc/gEDA/system-gschemrc]
Read ~/.gEDA/gschemrc file [/home/cullen/.gEDA/gschemrc]
Did not find optional local gschemrc file [/home/cullen/gschemrc]
Read init scm file [/usr/share/gEDA/scheme/gschem.scm]
New file [/home/cullen/untitled_1.sch]

This is for gschem version 1.4.3.20081231 on Ubuntu

-Cullen