Re: gEDA-user: fitting a board into a chassis

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010, gene glick wrote:

David Griffith wrote:

On yet another note, has anyone used metal dome push-button switches?

Are you talking about those metal snap domes used in Atari 2600 joysticks?

I have no idea about the Atari.  But, for example, here's one  vendor :
http://www.snaptron.com/homemainxxzxqma100.cfm

That's exactly what's found in Atari joysticks.

What I am looking for are push buttons for the front panel. It should be, maybe, a nice round mushroom type of button. I'm not saying these dome thingys are what I want because I'm not sure what exactly I want and I am not exactly clear on how these domes work.

These switches need some sort of flexible sheet or button above them. Atari joysticks use the latter approach. When pressed, they collapse with a tactile snap and bridge contacts on the PCB. Release pressure and they snap back to the original shape. I don't think they're a good choice for a homebrewed front panel.

--
David Griffith
dgriffi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx