Re: gEDA-user: Google Summer of Code 2011

On Fri, 2011-03-04 at 18:39 -0600, John Griessen wrote:
> On 03/04/2011 06:24 PM, Steven Michalske wrote:
> > I thought basing it on svg with layers defined to be each layer in a layout.
>
> But SVG is a shape outline format and RS-274X is centerline and width format.
>
> A round ended pad in RS-274X is a pair of points to define a line and a number to define a width.
>
> The same thing in SVG or postscript is a path around the rounded ends and along the edges of the pad.

That would be one way (if you used a filled object), but SVG also
supports stroked objects with various line styles and caps. SVG would be
fairly painless to export to, but definitely suffers from being not as
easily hand-editable as our existing format.

Perhaps pretty-printing the XML would help there though.

> It's easy to translate from RS-274X to SVG, but not the other way.

It depends on the primitives used - but I expect it is not too hard
either way. SVG does of course support a lot of things which RS-274X
cannot though.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,