Re: gEDA-user: General Layers questions

> But what if I want a silk layer to just be a copy of a copper layer?

This is a different category of problem - the CAM job.  Typically,
you'd have a file that describes how to map design layers to output
layers.  In that file, you'd say "this copper layer should be output
as a silk layer also".  Such a file could also say "copper objects
with the also-paste attribute should be drawn on the paste layer" etc.

At the design/edit level, that layer is a copper layer.  Note to John:
We just call them copper.  You can assume we mean "any conductive
substance" but people get the idea more reliably if you use terms
they're familiar with.

> When the code is worried about connectivity etc., it sees this layer
> is tagged as conductive and includes it in whatever its doing,
> ignoring the fact that it is also silk.  When the code is putting
> out the silkscreen, it notices this layer is tagged as silk and puts
> it out, ignoring that it is also a conductive layer.

And DRC freaks out because it has two separate incompatible sets of
rules to apply to it.