Re: gEDA-user: General Layers questions

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 09:23:20PM +0100, Stephan Boettcher wrote:
> Martin Kupec <martin.kupec@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
> > Actually what I am trying to do, is to have concept so layers don't
> > interract with layers of different type. The composits are a bit
> > problem, because I would need to consider more layers when performing any
> > action, but I think that it can still be interaction with object on the
> > same layer.
>
> I do not understand what problems you see with composits.  A layer
> consists of the union of all shapes on any level of the composits
> hierarchy.  Composits may be referenced at multiple positions, so those
> shapes appear multiple times.  When a shape is modified in a composit,
> it may affect all copies simultaniously, or the composit will be
> duplicated (copy on write), depneding on an attribute or explicit user
> action.
I don't see problems, just need for special care.

And I am glad that you mentioned the 'copy on write' and multiple
reference.

> > So, i.e., If we would have 'hole' layer. I would have check, that holes
> > on hole layer are not intersecting. And also check the intersection of
> > attached shapes on each layer. But all what can happen is that some
> > layer will yell that something bad happend and I should cancel my
> > action.
>
> Where do you want to attach holes. To layers, like John proposes?  To
> shapes on a layer?  Or as independent entities, like they are now?

As someone proposed, it is possible to have different hole size on
different layers. So I think the best would be to have special 'hole'
object on each layer. And that object will always be in composite
container, and all of them will be forcebly aligned to the same center.

	Martin Kupec