Re: gEDA-user: General Layers questions

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 10:40:02PM +0100, Stephan Boettcher wrote:
> Martin Kupec <martin.kupec@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> >> Hmmm... DRC is already fab-specific anyway.  Maybe DRC should be on
> >> the other side of the CAM job?  I.e. make DRC an exporter, so it gets
> >> the layer mappings you want, and can apply rules based on the *mapped*
> >> layers, not the *design* layers?
> >>
> >> That also lets us code the DRC rules in the CAM job file, so different
> >> "jobs" check different rule sets.
> >
> > I am sorry, but I don't think this is a good idea.
> > The DRC should work on the hierarchy. While the exporters will receive
> > somewhat 'flattened' stackup.
>
> Absolutely not. The DRC shall check the final flat result.  And yes, the
> DRC should be a separate tool examining the CAM output.
>
> OTOH, some DRC functionality inside the layout tool is at least nice to
> have, if not required, for doing life checks when editing.  These will
> probably never reach the coverage that a final checkout DRC should
> provide.  But that is a problem to write such a tool in the first place.

The problem here is that it have to be possible to point out the
problematic parts. So I guess it have to be able to flatten the
hierarchy by itself and so I knows where the problem comes form.

But I want to talk about DRC later.. DRC lives on top of layers and
will need nearly no support from it.

	Martin Kupec