Re: gEDA-user: General Layers questions

DJ Delorie <dj@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> I do not like the concept of composit outlines.  Does each layer
>> have its outline?  How does it do partial vias?
>
> In the case of flex cables, each layer *does* have its own outline.
> The tool needs to know that vias go only across layers that actually
> exist at that spot.

I am the one who did flex cables with pcb, with six copper layes, three
different outlines, four surface layers.  It is going to fly to Mars
later this year.

  http://www.ieap.uni-kiel.de/et/people/stephan/msl/eda/TFlex/TFlex.pdf
  http://www.ieap.uni-kiel.de/et/msl/pictures/photos/rsh/FM/TFlex/index.html

To support such a beast in PCB you need multiple pairs of surface
layers.  Elements with pads on explicit layers is what fills this role,
so that the pads of the flex edge connectors get connected to their
(inner) copper layers.

The outlines are just any graphical layers that can be exported without
vias and pins.  But the boardhouse had no problems ignoring the holes in
the outline layers.

Still, I do not see a need for outline layers anywhere, except as an
attribute on a graphical layer that tells an exporter where to stop
drawing.

--
Stephan