Re: gEDA-user: Multi-Select with SHIFT, CTRL...

On Fri, 2011-03-18 at 19:17 -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:
> > shift-leftclick on object
>
> Don't forget about select-region, select-touching,
> select-touching-line, etc.

I guess that is not too common in schematics?

Here is my current draft for my gschem clone:

Peted intended user interface behaviour -- first draft

LMBD: Left mouse button down (press) action
LMBU: Left mouse button up (release) action
MMBD: Middle mouse button down (press) action
MMBU: Middle mouse button up (release) action
RMBD: Right mouse button down (press) action

Our intention is to have a smart AUTO mode which will allow to do the
most common actions fast with minimal effort (beside traditional special modes like
"Move", "Net", "Erase", "Line", "Arc", "Text", ...)

These action include: Select, move, copy, delete, rotate, start new net.

LMBD over element: Start moving element, LMBU will terminate action, element is unselected
LMBD + LMBU over element (no motion): select element, unselect all other
SHIFT + LMBD + LMBU over element: add element to selection
CTRL + LMBD + LMBU over element: toggle element, leave other unchanged
LMBD over unpopulated area: start selection rectangle
  No modilier: elements in rectangle will become selected, other unselected
  SHIFT modifier: add elements in rectangle to selection, other unchanged
  CTRL modifier: toggle state of elements in rectangle, other unchanged
MMBD: put a copy of selected element(s) to position of mouse pointer
  special case: MMBD over selected element: detete it
  if nothing is selected or SHIFT modifier is used: panning
RMBD: Context sensitive menu open

Scroll wheel: rotate selection or element under mouse pointer
  If nothing is selected and mouse pointer is over unpopulated area
  or SHIFT modifier is used: Zoom in/out

LMBD + LMBU over hot pin end: start new net segment

Missing: Zoom into rectangle

For element properties we will not use a popup window opened by double click, but a
separate area at the left or right of the main window. Properties of selected elements
are displayed in this area and can be modified. This area can be used for various other
purposes, i.e. symbol library preview, color selections, ...It should be possible to fully
shrink this area.

At the bottom of the main window we may have an area for log messages.

We should try to allow multiple instances of our GUI window, showing different or the same
content. For the last case, we can display an overview in one window, while we work on details
in a different window, maybe both windows can reside on different monitors. Of course it should
be possible to use only one window, and switch between different content.

Have I forgotten common important actions?