Re: gEDA-user: Multi-Select with SHIFT, CTRL...

On Mar 18, 2011, at 4:41 PM, Stefan Salewski <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, 2011-03-18 at 19:17 -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:
>>> shift-leftclick on object
>>
>> Don't forget about select-region, select-touching,
>> select-touching-line, etc.
>>

> I guess that is not too common in schematics?
>
> Here is my current draft for my gschem clone:
>
> Peted intended user interface behaviour -- first draft
>
> LMBD: Left mouse button down (press) action
> LMBU: Left mouse button up (release) action
> MMBD: Middle mouse button down (press) action
> MMBU: Middle mouse button up (release) action
> RMBD: Right mouse button down (press) action
>

> Our intention is to have a smart AUTO mode which will allow to do the
> most common actions fast with minimal effort (beside traditional special modes like
> "Move", "Net", "Erase", "Line", "Arc", "Text", ...)
>

> These action include: Select, move, copy, delete, rotate, start new net.
>
> LMBD over element: Start moving element, LMBU will terminate action, element is unselected
> LMBD + LMBU over element (no motion): select element, unselect all other
> SHIFT + LMBD + LMBU over element: add element to selection
> CTRL + LMBD + LMBU over element: toggle element, leave other unchanged
> LMBD over unpopulated area: start selection rectangle
>  No modilier: elements in rectangle will become selected, other unselected
>  SHIFT modifier: add elements in rectangle to selection, other unchanged
>  CTRL modifier: toggle state of elements in rectangle, other unchanged
> MMBD: put a copy of selected element(s) to position of mouse pointer
>  special case: MMBD over selected element: detete it
>  if nothing is selected or SHIFT modifier is used: panning
> RMBD: Context sensitive menu open
>
> Scroll wheel: rotate selection or element under mouse pointer
>  If nothing is selected and mouse pointer is over unpopulated area
>  or SHIFT modifier is used: Zoom in/out

Track pad users may want scroll to be scrolling....

So consider that,  although I rarely edit layouts by trackpad there are times that I do and hate zooming in and out.  But when using a mouse I do want zoom in and out on the scroll wheel.

If your toolkit allows for the apple trackpad gestures...  That could add a few options into the mix

In net mode double left click ends the current net.

> LMBD + LMBU over hot pin end: start new net segment

You added net end, but starting at the middle of a net segment is valuable too.