gEDA-user: Any open EtherCAT designs?

Hi All,

I've been looking at the possibility of using EtherCAT as the IO
interface to some power converters we're trying to upgrade for research
here.

EtherCAT seems like a really nice idea, but I'd love to hear from
someone who's actually used it just how easy it is to implement, and any
problems along the way. I can't even find a UK supplier for the ESC
ASICS other then Beckhoff directly, and no-one has any pricing info!

I see there is a nice chip "NetX", which combines an EtherCAT controller
and an Arm9 in a single BGA. Whilst that is getting a lot more fiddly
than I'd originally intended, I'm tempted to consider the possibility.

I'm looking to tie the EtherCAT controler (and perhaps some small CPU)
to an FPGA to do final IGBT gate timing and safety interlocks.

Any hints?

I'll be working in gEDA of course, and hope to make the designs
available if we go this route.

Best regards,

--
Peter Clifton