Re: gEDA-user: Free GNU/Linux hardware design tools

Simulation - think debugger - as in its not really real time but gives you hints as to what is wrong

Synthesis - think compiler - the design has to be converted to machine code

Implementation - hmmm? well ya got to load that chip some how.

Steve M.

Christian E. Jørgensen wrote:

Stephen Williams wrote:

You will need some implementation tools from Altera. I believe
the quartus package is free (as in "free beer") and I'm pretty
sure that does *not* include a simulator. It should include Verilog
synthesis.

For Verilog simulation, there is, of course, Icarus Verilog.
Free speech, free beer, Wintel free if you choose:-)

Altera FPGA synthesis via Icarus Verilog lacks only some code
generator bits. One may be able to write an EDIF/LPM family for
the -tfpga target, and hand that off to the Altera implementation
tools.

Simulation? Synthesis? Implementation tools? Can you put these in terms
that even a software developer who doesn't know his latches from his
flip-flops can understand? :-)