Re: gEDA-user: draw_binary_real??

cfk@pacbell.net said:
> Your patch is very appreciated and very interesting, but I think the
> more important issue here is that iverilog would be much more useful
> it if did not throw assertions with faulty verilog input, but rather
> gave some clue that allowed the user to converge on what is wrong.

It was not faulty input, it was a faulty compiler. Hence the fix.
Assertions are not supposed to happen, but if they do, I have a
head start in debugging the problem. Sometimes, if I feel less then
convinced about something, I will indeed use an "internal error"
message that is more descriptive, but more likely it is something
that can't happen, I didn't get to yet, or I simply forgot about.

More often then not, fixing the problem is more profitable then
putting in a fancy diagnostic message.

I'm sorry these assertions push your buttons, but people do use
Icarus Verilog for large designs, and some of them even take the
time to send bug reports. Thanks for yours.
steve at picturel.com         and lines to code before I sleep,