Re: gEDA-user: Newbie PCB & gschem

On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 08:40:33PM +0200, Shahab Sanjari wrote:

I am new to PCB and gschem, though I have experiences with other CADs.
How have you (active PCB users) learned how to work with gschem and PCB?
I found gschem to be pretty intuitive and easy to use (even for a "keyboard-freak" like me), much better than Geddy-CAD which I used years ago when I still ran DOS. On the other hand, I'm just a hobbyist, so no really complex designs.
There were some things to learn about attributes, but the master attribute list [3] describes them quite well.

I'm currently having quite a quarrel with PCB, but it might just be that I'm not familiar enough with the usual automated PCB design process, since I just used a "vectorboard" (is that correct translation for "Lochrasterplatine"?) in the past. A document explaining the basics and the terminology (I still don't know what a "thermal" is) might help.
The user interface of PCB really needs getting used to. I'd really like it to be much more like gschem. Some things are mostly of a psychological nature (like the widget style), others are differences in behaviour (like panning/scrolling/zooming).

Do you know of any User's manual or document which describes a design step
by step (Schematic Lib --> Schematic --> Netlist --> PCB Lib --> PCB
--> printing --> Gerber ) ?
Once you have the schematic itself, you can use the gsch2pcb tutorial to see how to generate a layout from it.

Or a document with all the tricks and shortcuts like Grid, zoom , panning and ....
Did you already take a look at the gEDA documentation page [1]?

Since I follow the mails on this list for a couple of months now, I am
aware of PCB having an Autorouter option, which I didn't find on the MAN
page.
I don't even seem to have a man-page for PCB:

sascha@cube:~$ man pcb
No manual entry for pcb

The PCB manual [4] does describe the auto-router briefly in the menu section [5], paragraph "Connects".

Does the PCB and gschem that you use differ from what I installed?
I'm using the following (on Gentoo Linux):

media-libs/libgdgeda-2.0.15 *
app-sci/geda-symbols-20040111 *
app-sci/libgeda-20040111 *
app-sci/geda-gschem-20040111 *
app-sci/geda-docs-20040111 *
app-sci/geda-gnetlist-20040111 *
app-sci/geda-gsymcheck-20040111 *
app-sci/geda-utils-20040111 *

Does anybody use these programs on FreeBSD?
Shouldn't really make a difference, since it's a POSIX system.

[1] http://geda.seul.org/docs/20040111/index.html
[2] http://geda.seul.org/docs/20040111/tutorials/gsch2pcb/tutorial.html
[3] http://geda.seul.org/docs/20040111/attributes/index.html
[4] http://pcb.sourceforge.net/pcb.html
[5] http://pcb.sourceforge.net/pcb.html#Menu

CU Sascha

bomb terrorist afghanistan PGP encrypt CIA FBI BND MAD StaSi anschlag strike sex pussy xxx kill bj hitler Gates MS Windows ZV ZDV