Re: gEDA-user: SMT/Through Hole Mix

I don't see why you wouldn't do as much SMT as possible.  There is no
advantage to though-hole stuff that I am aware of.  (I welcome
corrections on this point.)  You can do hand assembly and rework of
both through-hole and SMT down to (arguably) 0603
components (or maybe even 0402 if you have good eyesight and non-shaky
hands).  As for power stuff, lots is availale in SMT versions, so
that's not a consideration.  Through-hole stuff is going obsolete
anyway.  Finally, SMT stuff lends itself to automated assembly, which
-- in the long run -- will be cheaper.

Ultimately, you should talk to the folks who will stuff your board.
They can offer better advice tailored to your situation than we can
here.

Stuart