Re: gEDA-user: SMT/Through Hole Mix

You can get a solder paste syringe sample kit from a company called EFD.
It'll last you for a long time doing prototypes.

I use a pair of 'OO' size strong tip tweezers, which are straight.  A 1/64"
soldering iron tip is good.  A way to vary your tip temperature is also
helpful--e.g. series resistors, variac, or a proper soldering station.  You
can do 0603's and .050 SOIC parts, which significantly broadens your parts
selection horizon, with this rig.

Later I started using a kitchen hotplate as a pre-warmer only, then follow
thru with the reflow with a hot-air reflow.  There are a lot of Asian made
units available and people seem to like them okay.  This tool is extremely
handy.  I have an XYTronic--nothing special about it, but it works well.  I
think there are some that are even cheaper now.

I store all my parts in small zip-closure baggies.  All the same size, in a
half a doze parts-bin drawers.  Storing a 1000 resistor values is pretty easy
on space and overhead.

Best of all, this is the fastest way to 'stuff' and solder boards, well, at
least if you're doing it yourself.

Phil Taylor