Re: gEDA-user: not quite hierarchical netlist

On May 19, 2006, at 12:55 PM, al davis wrote:

On Friday 19 May 2006 13:21, Wolfgang Buesser wrote:
Hi everybody,

probaly this is a stupid question, but I am having
difficulties generating a hierachical spice netlist: I have
tried to follow the instructions in the manual and ended up
with the following netlist:

*******************************
* Begin .SUBCKT model         *
* spice-sdb ver 12.27.2005    *
.SUBCKT Amp
*==============  Begin SPICE netlist of main design
============ MX1/M1 X1/N1 NN X1/GND X1/GND NMOS  l=1.2 w=2.2
V1 NIN 0 VIN
X1/C1 NOUT X1/N1 Ccomp

This is incorrect. Spice (and all Spice format simulators) uses the first letter to determine the type. Since the first letter is "X" that makes it a subcircuit call. A capacitor must start with C.

The problem is that gnetlist was apparently not originally designed for SPICE. The hierarchical names it generates are *backwards*: they start from the top level and work down, but SPICE needs the name to start with the character for the component, not its enclosing circuit.

Again, the solution is to compose separate flat subcircuits, and let SPICE put them together hierarchically. And that's just what following the instructions in Stuart's excellent tutorial will have you doing.

jpd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx