Re: gEDA-user: Transformer as voltage transducer?

Randall,
I just happened to do some research on this.  The following part:
NEC PS2505L-4-A
is a quad optocoupler.  On the input side, each optocoupler has two
diodes connected in opposite directions.  These stimulate a
phototranistor output.  I was using them mainly to see if an 24 VAC
control voltage was on or off, so I set up the circuit to go into
saturation.  I also put a large cap on the output to smooth the voltage.
But you can limit the current on the input so you get an output that's
proportional to the input.  One possible downside (for your application)
is that this circuit will full-wave rectify your signal.  There's
another part, the 2501, which has only a single diode on the input.  You
could use two 2501 couplers to measure the positive and negative parts
of the waveform.
Vaughn