Re: gEDA-user: Removing default title box

>> This may sound strange but how do you remove the default
>> title box in schematic? Adding a new one just overlaps the
>> default one.
>
> I'm curious ...  Should the title box be there by default?

I'm one of the folks who pushed for the idea that we should have a
title box by default.  The reason:

*  Previously, gschem started with the viewing field zoomed waaaaaay
out.  Many people couldn't figure out what was going on when they
placed parts and saw only tiny specs on the viewing field.

*  To give newbies a warm & fuzzy feel about where they are working,
the decision was taken to put a title block up at the start of
gschem.  That way, folks know approximately how much drawing area they
have.  It also makes the working area look more official, and provides
reassurance that the program is working correctly.

> I would rather start with a blank.  If I want a title box, I
> will put one there.

You're a power user.  Power users generally know about system-gschemrc,
right?  Or is that an invalid assumption?

> I didn't see an obvious way to turn it off.  Editing gschemrc
> isn't obvious.  With no gschemrc, I still get a title box.  To
> get rid of the title box, (define default-titleblock "") or, I
> suppose, comment it out or change it
> in /etc/gEDA/system-gschemrc  (not obvious).

Not totall obvious to the newbie, true, but folks who have used the
program for an hour or two know that it has a config file, and they
will know to look there to set defaults like this.

> Next ..  how to remove it from a schematic?  It's easy to remove
> before putting anything else in.  But after adding some
> components, how to get rid of the title and keep everything
> else?  I did it by editing the .sch file with a text editor.

It's easy to remove it the first thing, but once you've placed a few
components inside it, then you've got to jump through some hoops to
get rid of the title block alone.  Maybe a better selection mechanism
(e.g. using the right mouse button) would help?

In any event, starting with the title block is a vast improvement over
how gschem used to start.  I would not want to see it change.  MHO
only, of course.

Stuart