Re: gEDA-user: gschem won't connect nets

At 09:54 PM 5/24/2008, you wrote:

>On May 24, 2008, at 6:41 PM, Paul Probert wrote:
>
> > Paul Probert wrote:
> >> Folks,
> >>    Today gschem got into a snit with one of my diagrams, and
> >> refused to
> >> make a connection when drawing a net from a pin on a symbol to
> >> another
> >> net. That is, the end of the net is left with the red box, and won't
> >> make the yellow dot when it hits another net. Also, the netlist will
> >> show a pin disconnected, as verified by PCB not showing any rats
> >> going
> >> to the pin.
> >>    I suspect there's something in my schematic, some homemade symbol
> >> that's throwing it into a tizzy.  All my pins are on 100 mil grids as
> >> far as I can tell. Anybody ever have this kind of trouble?
> >>    I am using 1.4.0.20080127, on Gentoo.
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance,
> >> Paul Probert
> >>
> >    I took a look at the .sch file with a text editor, and most, but
> > not
> > all, of the coordinates ended in 01, whereas in other diagrams of mine
> > that work they all end in 00. So I did a search and replace, and
> > now the
> > circuit is fine. So how did they get off by one mil?
>
>Is it possible that you accidentally selected and moved stuff with
>the grid snap off?

I have to say I don't get this issue of parts not being on the grid
and not making connections.  I seem to recall that this was a problem
that a number of commercial schematic programs had some 10 or 20
years ago and was soon resolved in order to retain customers.

Is there a reason that this can't be fixed in this software, either
by making it impossible to place pins off grid or by having the
software capable of making connections to pins that are off grid?  Or
perhaps the software should check this and give a warning when
placing a part so that it is not connectable.  Or a final suggestion,
a means of easily correcting all parts that are off grid...

Am I being naive?

Rick