Re: gEDA-user: Strange behavior with input-1.sym and output-1.sym?

On Thu, 2009-05-07 at 00:28 -0400, dfro@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> All of my input-1.sym and output-1.sym had attribute setting like this:
>
> net      SPEED_CONTROL:1
> value    SPEED CONTROL
> device   INPUT
>
> There was no refdes attribute in any of the named nets. Using
> input-2.sym and output-2.sym worked with the exact same attributes.
> Also, changing 'device=INPUT' to 'device=none' while using input-1.sym
> and output-1.sym did not change the warnings.
>
> I am using version 1:1.4.0.1 of geda, which is what shows up in the
> Ubuntu 8.10 Synaptic Package Manager. So, my hunch is that the strange
> behavior has been solved with later versions. I'll wait for the updates
> to arrive on Synaptic. Until then, DJ's 'graphic=1' suggestion worked.
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

Tested again, works fine:

I made a new schematic, inserted resistor-1.sym. I connected one pin of
the resistor with input-1.sym, the other pin with gnd-1.sym. I gave
resistor attributes refdes=R1 and footprint=0805. And I inserted

net      SPEED_CONTROL:1
value    SPEED CONTROL
device   INPUT

in input-1.sym. Result is

stefan@AMD64-X2 ~/xxx $ cat test.sch
v 20081231 1
C 40000 40000 0 0 0 title-B.sym
C 45000 47400 1 0 0 input-1.sym
{
T 45000 47700 5 10 0 0 0 0 1
device=INPUT
T 45000 47400 5 10 0 0 0 0 1
net=SPEED_CONTROL:1
T 44900 47000 5 10 1 1 0 0 1
value=SPEED CONTROL
}
C 45800 47400 1 0 0 resistor-1.sym
{
T 46100 47800 5 10 0 0 0 0 1
device=RESISTOR
T 46000 47700 5 10 1 1 0 0 1
refdes=R1
T 45800 47400 5 10 0 0 0 0 1
footprint=0805
}
C 46600 47200 1 0 0 gnd-1.sym
stefan@AMD64-X2 ~/xxx $

stefan@AMD64-X2 ~/xxx $ ls -l
total 8
-rw-r--r-- 1 stefan stefan  43 2009-05-07 14:20 p1
-rw-r--r-- 1 stefan stefan 418 2009-05-07 14:29 test.sch
stefan@AMD64-X2 ~/xxx $

stefan@AMD64-X2 ~/xxx $ cat p1
schematics test.sch
output-name b1

stefan@AMD64-X2 ~/xxx $ gsch2pcb -s p1

---------------------------------
gEDA/gnetlist pcbpins Backend
This backend is EXPERIMENTAL
Use at your own risk!
---------------------------------

Skipping the m4 processor for pcb footprints

----------------------------------
Done processing.  Work performed:
1 file elements and 0 m4 elements added to b1.pcb.

Next step:
1.  Run pcb on your file b1.pcb.
    You will find all your footprints in a bundle ready for you to place
    or disperse with "Select -> Disperse all elements" in PCB.

2.  From within PCB, select "File -> Load netlist file" and select
    b1.net to load the netlist.

3.  From within PCB, enter

           :ExecuteFile(b1.cmd)

    to propagate the pin names of all footprints to the layout.

stefan@AMD64-X2 ~/xxx $

Works fine without -s to suppress M4 elements too.

I guess there is something wrong with your schematics or project file,
maybe you can start from scratch? Of course it may be a bug of 1.4.0, I
can not test this, have only 1.4.3 available.

One general remark: value attribute may work in i/o symbols, I have used
comment to show names. Now I only make the net-attribute visible (name
only) -- this may look strange for other people because it looks like
"SPEED_CONTROL:1" but this makes things much more easy for large layouts
and when you change names later.

Best regards

Stefan Salewski